An engagement shoot (or pre-wedding shoot or e-session) is essentially a couples portrait session conducted a few weeks or months before the wedding. Many photographers offer these sessions as part of their wedding packages and it is a good idea to take them up on it (or insist on it if it isn’t offered) for the following reasons:
- It is the perfect opportunity for you as a couple to get to know and build trust with your wedding photographer. This will help everyone feel more comfortable on the wedding day, allowing for more relaxed and natural photos.
- It introduces the groom (in particular) to being in front of the camera
- It allows you to see how your wedding photographer works and their personality when directing and photographing people.
- You can brainstorm or test out ideas you think you would like to incorporate into your wedding shots.
- You can use an image from the engagement shoot for a save-the-date card or the wedding invite.
The better you know your photographer and the more experience you have in front of the camera before your wedding, the more fun you are going to have on the big day. This is what will be reflected in your photos.